Steven Mackey is regarded as one of the leading composers of his generation.
- 4 Materials and Making Courses: Completion (or placing out of) MUS 105 & 106, as well as two others from the M&M category (see a partial list of M&M courses)
- 2 300-level Courses in Composition: For a complete list of currently offered courses, please click here.
- Performance Project: Completion of a written composition under the supervision of a faculty advisor.
For questions about the composition track, contact Prof. Mackey.
Admission to the Program in Performance for instrumentalists is by live audition at the end of the sophomore year, for a panel of ensemble directors. Audition sign-up sheets are posted on the bulletin boards on the first floor of Woolworth when the audition date is announced online, by email, and by flyer.
- PIANO & ORCHESTRAL INSTRUMENTS: one movement from a standard sonata or concerto, showing an element of contrast.
- SINGERS: two selections from standard opera arias or songs - one in Italian, and the other in French or German.
- All classical performers must bring a brief musical CV and repertoire list, signed by their studio instructor, covering their freshman and sophomore years.
- JAZZ: two selections of contrasting style that demonstrate awareness of the jazz tradition and the ability to improvise. Repertoire selection is open across jazz genres, including Afro-Latin and Brazilian pieces. Musicians should be prepared to improvise over several choruses with their own ensemble accompaniment.
Ryan Dalton is the incoming Program Manager for the Music Department. His time in Princeton, NJ began at an early age when he became a member of The American Boychoir School, lucky enough to spend...