Thank you for your interest in the Department of Music as you prepare to apply to the University. Applications to the PhD Programs in Composition and Musicology are conducted through the Princeton University Graduate School. Please consult their website for detailed application guidelines, deadlines, and answers to frequently asked questions. Please note that all graduate students are fully funded. For more details, please see Princeton’s Financial Support page.
Applicants to both programs must submit:
- Statement of Academic Purpose
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Recommendation Letters
- TOEFL Results (as relevant)
Applicants to the Program in Composition must also submit:
- Composition Selections (~3 works), with scores (if appropriate) and recordings if possible
- Writing Sample (optional)
Applicants to the Program in Musicology must also submit:
- Samples of written work that best displays their thinking and writing about music (e.g. seminar paper, senior thesis)
Applicants must hold a bachelor’s degree, or its foreign equivalent, from an accredited college or university. You may apply to only one department, program, or combined program per year.
Decisions are made in late February or early March. Students who are accepted into the program will be invited for a campus visit to meet the faculty and students.