Student Resources

We are happy to assist you with planning your course of study, exploring funding opportunities, accessing day-to-day technical and academic support services, and more. 

Advising & Administration

All students can search for funding opportunities through the University’s central funding resource: SAFE.

Graduate Students: The Bryan Fund offers funding for travel and equipment needs of graduate students during their period of enrollment (Years 1-5 for Composition and Years 1-6 for Musicology). To apply for these funds:

  • Go to SAFE and search for “Bryan Fund” to access the application.
  • Include a detailed explanation and budget in your application and upload receipts and booking confirmations.
  • Applications will then be routed to the Director of Graduate Study for approval. Once funding is awarded, an email will be recieved from SAFE with instructions to accept the funds, which will be deposited into the bank account on record with Princeton University (or through a check if you do not have a bank account on record).
  • If traveling (domestic or internationally), it is mandatory to register through Enroll My Trip a minimum of 4 weeks prior to the trip. Funds cannot be awarded until the travel enrollment is approved.
  • Contact the Business Manager for a Bryan Fund balance at any time.

For additional information on departmental funding, contact the Business Manager.

Photocopying & Faxing

Graduate students have access to the photocopy machine. For photocopy services information and a complete list of all campus copier locations and acceptable payment methods, please visit the Princeton University Library. Graduate students may also use the fax machine during working hours.


Music Majors and students in the Certificate Programs who wish to print materials for their junior/senior recitals may have access to the Department’s printer for printing program notes and letter-size posters. For further information, please contact us.

For other printing needs, please visit the University’s Print & Mail Services.

Department of Music graduate students and faculty members may request edits to the profile that appears on this website’s online directory at any time, using the form below:

Whether you would like to voice a concern, share your experience, or simply get to know the Department Chair, request a meeting with the Assistant to the Chair.

Accessing & Booking Facilities

Effron Music Building

Practice rooms are available automatically to Princeton University

  • Undergraduate music majors, music minors, certificate students, Department-led ensemble participants, and students enrolled in studio lessons.
  • Music Graduate Students
  • Music Faculty & Staff

Woolworth Center

Department of Music members (as listed above) have automatic access to practice rooms through their Princeton University ID.

All other members of the Princeton University community may request access using the request form on our Facilities & Venues page.

Woolworth Center

Student groups may request space in the Woolworth Center through the EMS web app. Once a request is approved by Department staff and you receive a confirmation email, you may access the space.

Effron Music Building & Taplin Auditorium

Please contact the Production Manager Assistant.

Equipment Rental & Storage

A limited number of musical instruments are available for loan to Department of Music majors, minors, certificate students, graduate students, and students participating in studio lessons and/or faculty-led Department of Music ensembles. For more information contact .

All requests must be made to the Technical Support Manager. Available software includes Sibelius and SoundTrap; available equipment includes:

Instrument lockers are available to Princeton University for Department of Music majors, minors, certificate students, graduate students, and students participating in faculty-led Department of Music ensembles and/or studio lessons. Lockers are assigned for one academic year and each student is permitted one locker.  

Returning Music majors, minors, certificate students, and graduate students may request a locker during the first week of classes. After faculty-led ensemble auditions, all eligible individuals may request a locker by contacting . Lockers will be assigned on a first come, first serve basis. The location of the locker (i.e., Effron Music building or Woolworth Center) is subject to availability. Requests will be accepted throughout the year.  

All lockers must be cleaned and cleared out no later than Spring Dean’s date. Otherwise, a $100.00 non-refundable fee will be charged to the student’s account.  

For further questions about lockers, please contact .  

Performance Opportunities

All Princeton University students, regardless of Department-affiliation, are welcome to participate in our faculty-led ensembles. Visit our Ensembles Page to learn more about audition/sign-up periods, rehearsal schedules, and more.

All Princeton University students, regardless of Department-affiliation, are welcome to sign-up for lessons with our Studio Faculty. Visit our Studio Lessons page to learn more about sign-up periods, fees and subsidies, and more.

The use of Woolworth Studio A & B is restricted to undergraduate students who have completed MUS 316: Computer and Electronic Music Composition; and music graduate students who have received the prerequisite training. For more information, contact the Director of Electronic Music.

All Department-affiliated events, regardless of location, must be scheduled by contacting the Production Manager. For more information about Program in Performance and thesis recitals, please visit our Student Recital Policies & Procedures page.

The Department of Music wants to hear about your exciting achievements: awards, recordings, premieres, important performances and projects, fellowships, and other accomplishments. The Music Department shares alumni, student, and faculty news on our website, and social media channels. Please use this form to submit your news.

To add a Department-sponsored event to the Department of Music’s Calendar, please use this form. To share information about a non-Department event, please contact the Marketing & Outreach Manager.

Printed posters and digital slides are great ways of publicizing your event around campus. For guidelines about poster/slide design and production, please see the Student Recital Policies & Procedures page.